If you've been around here for a while now, you might already know that I am a huge fan of Pilates as a fantastic way to regain your core strength after having a baby. I have briefly talked about my experience with it in these two posts, Exercise After Caesarean and Blending Fitness & Family.
Today I have asked Michelle from Michelle's Pilates Place to share the benefits of Pilates with us:
Michelle is based on the Central Coast of NSW and holds classes in many locations across the Central Coast. For more information about her classes head over to her website here or facebook page here. Michelle is also offering a 10% discount to all Michelle's Pilates Place & The Active Mum Facebook fans, just like us both on facebook, then give Michelle your name and quote the code "Active Mum" when booking.
The benefits of Pilates post birth:
There are many benefits of doing Pilates for a new mum:
- Strengthening and rehabilitation of the pelvic floor, abdominal and spinal muscles for a strong core and spine stability.
- Increase overall muscle strength which will raise metabolic rate to burn more energy.
- Regaining good posture after pregnancy, which is vital for the demands of nursing, carrying and lifting baby . All these daily tasks can lead to back discomfort, if you haven't regained core strength.
- Strengthening the whole abdominal wall, which can help to heal a diastasis (separation of the rectus abdominal muscle)
- Stabilising the body without impact. This is important as the hormone “relaxin” which is produced during pregnancy creates ligament laxity (softening). This hormone can stay in the body post birth for up to 2 years, therefore a new mum can be vulnerable to injury .
- To stretch and release tight overworking muscles for reduced stress, improved sleep and general wellbeing.
As you can see the benefits of Pilates post birth are numerous! I personally attended Michelle's Mum's & Bubs class after Mr 3 was born. I absolutely loved it and found it helped me quickly regain core strength and stability, flatten my stomach and get a little bit of relaxation time. I would strongly recommend Michelle's classes to anyone.